Wanna help me hike?

Monday, May 6, 2013

Cinco de Mayo

Cinco de Mayo!

What a great day. Woke up in a super comfortable bed at the affordable yet clean Econolodge in Bay City, MI, and proceeded  to destroy the continental breakfast they offered. My housemates Martha and Sandy soon showed up with all kinds of goodies: plenty of food and fuel, bugspray, sunscreen and yummy Atwater beer. With big smiles on their faces, they handed me a bag from Moosejaw (my favorite gear store). Inside was a gift from my dear friend Traci Rink: a brand new Marmot shell!  A top-of-the-line, bullet-proof GoreTex jacket that will last for years. Not only will this jacket protect me and keep me warm but it replaces about 3lbs of other gear I was carrying to serve that purpose. Traci, her daughter Katie and her husband Ron Foon are the best. They know the importance of good gear as they themselves are world travellers. Katie even works at Moosejaw - she knows gear. I am forever grateful to them for this generous gift. 

We continued on to the Applebee's in Bay City where we were joined by my brother Rob, my brother Jim and his wife Patti and my nephew Brian and his girlfriend Lisa. It made me feel so good that all these folks came all the way up to Bay City to see me and wish me well. 

After sharing one more beer, the housemates dropped me off just outside of Bay City State Park and pointed me west toward Midland. I won't see them again until May 17th when I come back for the Relay For Life. I need to make as many miles as possible between now and then. Off I go, bound for the Midland To Mackinac Trail!


Chris with a gift from Brian: a bottle of super-rare Kentucky Breakfast Stout from Founders
Chris in his new shell. Thanks Traci!

Chris, Jim and Patti

No comments:

Post a Comment