Wanna help me hike?

Wednesday, January 2, 2013

He's at it again!

When a dear friend first sent me the link to the article about Governor Snyder proposing a 924 mile trail that went from Detroit's Belle Isle all the way up the lower peninsula and all the way across the upper peninsula to the Wisconsin border, I knew I had to hike it. I knew that I could be the first if I got my act together and raised some funds for equipment and supplies. The purpose of this blog is to allow those who are interested to follow my adventures and allow those who are so inclined to contribute to my effort.

I intend to start on March 15th or so of this year.  I think it will take me about 10 weeks to complete the hike. My housemates and I scoped out the start of the trail and followed it up to the Paint Creek Trail in Rochester. True, the first couple of days will be mostly road-walking right through Detroit but I'm okay with that. In fact, urban hiking and stealth camping are specialties of mine. Once I get past Saginaw, the rest of the trail will be very remote. I'm okay with that, as well, having just hiked from Empire to Oscoda across the lower peninsula.

The first few entries of the blog will follow me as I prepare and equip for this hike. Stay tuned to see if I survive the city and make it all the way to Wisconsin!

1 comment:

  1. Going to have to check out re-supply points on this trail.

    ReplyDelete